Monday, January 17, 2005

Seattle Stories

Dave, Katie and I have had a fun time in Vancouver despite the snow, freezing rain and frog-strangling downpours. It’s not been like the start of your typical tropical vacation cruise. But then this is neither a cruise nor a vacation. Although from what Dave tells me after his reconnaissance reception onboard this evening, the ship is nice enough for one.

We sail tomorrow and I wanted to do a quick catch-up before I get onboard. From what I understand, it may take several days for the internet to get up and running with our Wi-Fi cards, passwords, etc .so don’t expect more news soon.

Although the bed and breakfast in Seattle didn’t have a dungeon, it was comfortable, the other guests and innkeeper really nice and the breakfasts yummy – three courses with dishes like home-smoked (and caught!) salmon, banana pancakes, Mexican eggs, and watermelon slices in the ice water – gourmet all the way. You may know I’m somewhat B&B averse (chatting in the morning with chipper strangers is not my idea of what to do before I’ve even had my coffee) but this experience may convert me.

Dave and Katie live in the wonderful neighborhood of Fremont. I learned that Seattle has very strong neighborhood identities and Fremont’s is true to form. It has no less then 4 notable structures within a few blocks of their house: a huge metal rocket against the corner of a building, statues of a group of people waiting for a train that the residents deck out in clothes appropriate to the season, a huge troll under the main bridge (which bears the sign “Entering Fremont, Center of the Universe”), and a life-sized statue of Lenin purloined from some Soviet site. So fun and edgy but also dear and homey – I love where they live. In driving around Seattle for 2 days, I saw exactly 2 chain anything – an Outback Steakhouse and a small Blockbuster – aside from all the Starbuck’s that is. Everywhere else is a locally owned restaurant, shop, pharmacy, market – amazing. We ate lunch at Pho Cyclo, their favorite Vietnamese restaurant across from Starbuck’s. The murals on the walls took my breath away because they were so true to what Vietnam really looks like. Katie’s office was also surprising to me. I don’t frequent corporate headquarters and admit to being naïve about such but I was blown away by the color, the energy, the creative use of metal and stone and murals in the interior and the layouts and types of space all designed to keep creativity and energy flowing. I’m so impressed with her choice of company and the work she is doing there.

I’d hope to get caught up to date with the Vancouver stories but it’s late and I’ve got a ship to board in the morning! I’m sure as we sail through 12 days at sea heading for Korea there’ll be time for that. So check back again soon. After I get settled in, we’ll chat again.

I’m taking all your love and good wishes and holding them close in my heart as I head out across a big ocean into a wondrous world. I will miss you all lots and lots. And, BTW, all you mommies and daddies of my special grandchildren, I’d appreciate it if you could put books on their heads and cut back on their rations so they don’t grow too much while I’m gone. Take care of each other.

Marjorie


No comments: